Trello Down on Deadline Day - What To Do?

Thursday 30 November 2023

What do you do when your project management platform goes down on deadlines day? That's the issue Trello users faced on November 30th when the task-planning tool became unresponsive without warning.

Users were met with a slow-loading Trello dashboard, which soon stopped loading at all. Trello's Status page reported "an issue that's causing Trello to be slow or unavailable to our users" at 9:21am EST (2:21pm GMT).

Trello Status page, November 30th 2023, 4:35pm GMT

With just three business hours left in November in the UK, losing access to your task-planning tool is less than ideal - so what can you do in such circumstances?

Have a Plan B

Preparedness is always a good idea. Having a Plan B in place helps to ensure business continuity, and is something I factor into my freelance work as routine.

In the case of Trello, I have several clients who use the platform, and it's a very handy tool for keeping track of individual items and orders - until it's not there anymore.

My backup plan in such circumstances is hardly high-tech, but I keep an Excel spreadsheet of orders received via Trello, including the name of the contact.

If Trello is down, this means I can still send out completed content via email, which is essential for SEO agency clients who need to meet THEIR deadline too.

Make Plan B Your Plan A

I can't stress enough the importance of having a backup plan in business. This is just one example of the extra measures I have in place to protect my work and deliver on time during an unexpected incident.

Some other examples of this include:

  • Use cloud-based email (Gmail) so I can access my emails from any device.
  • Use cloud-based storage (OneDrive) so I can access files from anywhere.
  • Use software with version history (Office 365) so I can recover old and 'lost' files.

On any given day, I don't necessarily use all of these features - in fact I hope I don't have to - but even just using Office 365 with OneDrive means my work is saved to the cloud in real-time.

That (hopefully) means that although the unplanned will always happen eventually, there's much less chance of me being unable to deliver urgent content to my clients.

Wait It Out

Third-party platforms like Trello will experience downtime every so often. It's inevitable and as long as everyone recognises that, it isn't that big of a deal.

In this incident, Trello issued an update at 11:35am EST (4:35pm GMT) and my access had already been restored by that point.

"Our engineering team has identified an issue with Trello's database, and we're now working on implementing a fix to restore Trello's availability to all users. We appreciate everyone's understanding!"

Trello incident page, November 30th 2023, 4:35pm GMT

Brands rely on uptime as a selling point for their service - nobody wants to use an unreliable cloud platform - and two hours, even on deadline day, is a pretty fast turnaround for a technical fix.

If you use an online tool and it goes down without warning, check whether it's a known issue - or whether it only affects you - and then prepare to wait for a fix.

Put It All Together

In the end, it's a combination of all of the above that will get you through any severe outages - and your mission-critical data should never be on a single platform with no backups accessible elsewhere.

My three-point plan for this kind of incident is:

  1. Be ready before it happens
  2. Put Plan B into action
  3. Wait for it to be fixed

That way I'm not caught off-guard, I'm able to continue working (and deliver on deadline commitments) but I am also in a position to start using the relevant platform again as soon as it's restored.

Deadlines are stressful, no matter how prepared you are - so shout-out to anyone who was relying on Trello this afternoon, and will be working past 5pm to get finished as a result.

Bobblewriter

Words by Bob 'Bobble' Bardsley.

Bobble is a talented freelance writer who has written for websites since 1998.

Book me today to write for your print and online projects.

tap here to
place an order


Availability: Good

Keep In Touch



Tip Bobble at Ko-fi

Sitemaps:
Pages | Posts

Search

Archives

Office Hours



I reply to all enquiries as soon as possible. Any order size is welcome and my prices are negotiable.

Where my schedule allows, I can work to tight deadlines and unsociable hours to deliver urgent orders ASAP.